Albrecht sentenced to 30 years for child molestingOctober 5, 2020
By Herald Staff
A former youth mentor has been sentenced to 30 years in the Indiana Department of Correction after being convicted by jury trial in early September on two counts of child molesting
Charges in the case and subsequent conviction of Nathan C. Albrecht, 28, Ferdinand, stem from an investigation that began on Aug. 20, 2019. At that time, Officer Christian Gogel of the Ferdinand Police Department met with the mother of the victim, who had filed a report alleging the ongoing child molestation of her child by Albrecht for a period of sixt to nine months. The victim’s mother told officers that her child was involved in a group called Mentors for Youth and that Albrecht had been the victim’s mentor for two years.
A forensic interview was conducted by the Southwest Indiana Child Advocacy Center in Jasper on Augu. 22, 2019. During that interview, the victim confirmed Albrecht had abused the victim on more than one occasion. The victim also reported to forensic interviewers that the abuse began toward the end of the last school year and continued through up to two weeks before his mother notified police.
On Aug. 23, 2019, Albrecht was arrested and charged with child molestation and child seduction.
The jury trial, the first in Dubois County since the COVID-19 pandemic began, was held over two days. Albrecht was convicted of two counts of child molestation as Level 1 felonies and one count of performance harmful to a minor as a Level 6 felony.
At the sentencing hearing on Oct. 1, the prosecutor’s office argued for a lengthy sentence, which the judge handed down, ordering Albrecht to serve 30 years in the Indiana Department of Correction. Albrecht will have to serve at least 85 percent of that sentence before he will be eligible for release.
“The strong sentence we obtained in this case reflects the severity of the crime," said Dubois County Prosecutor Anthony Quinn. "I am pleased we were able to bring justice to the victim. We will continue our tireless work to protect vulnerable youth in our community.”
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Friday eight new COVID-19 cases in Dubois County.
This is the last school year Mark Jahn will be principal of Cedar Crest Intermediate School.
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Thursday another COVID-19-related death in...
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Wednesday seven new COVID-19 cases in Dubois County.
The Indiana State Department of Health reported Tuesday six new COVID-19 cases in Dubois County.
Tom Schmitt sat in his pickup Wednesday, far away from the construction workers, watching the...
The Indiana State Department of Health has reported since Friday 20 new COVID-19 cases in Dubois...
As Kyle Gudorf and Lance Reynolds searched for their next great catch, the bowfishermen learned...