4 displaced by kitchen fire at Jasper duplexJanuary 29, 2019
By BILL POWELL
JASPER — Two adults and two small boys ages 1 and 2 are expected to temporarily stay with relatives after a Tuesday kitchen fire in their south-side duplex.
The Jasper Volunteer Fire Department was called to the report of a stove fire at the 408 Rumbach Ave. duplex owned by Parr 4 Rentals at 11:28 a.m. The site is on the east side of Third Avenue just east of Arlington Court.
Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang said the occupants of the east side of the duplex are Sheldon Kempf, who was at work, and his fiancee, who was home with the two small boys.
Hochgesang said a pan left cooking on the stove apparently started the fire that gutted the kitchen and caused heavy heat and smoke damage throughout the rest of the residence.
“She was getting (the boys) dressed and the smoke detector activated so she grabbed the boys and sat outside in her car,” Hochgesang said.
Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services came to the scene and provided blankets from the ambulance to warm the children.
A local American Red Cross representative was contacted to help with immediate clothing and lodging needs. Hochgesang said the victims would be staying with family in the coming days because the east end of the duplex is unlivable.
The occupants did have renter’s insurance, according to Hochgesang.
The landlord for the duplex arrived during the response, allowing the fire department to ensure the living quarters on the west side of the duplex were unharmed.
“That side is fine,” Hochgesang said.
Four trucks and 26 firefighters were on the scene 50 minutes.
The duplex kitchen fire was the fire department’s third response this week.
At 8:40 a.m. Monday firefighters were called to DaVita Jasper Dialysis, 671 Third Ave.
There was no fire, Hochgesang said. Instead, he added, an employee had overheated oatmeal in a microwave oven, burning it and triggering an alarm.
Three trucks and 18 firefighters were on the scene 15 minutes.
Then, at 12:11 a.m. Tuesday, the department was paged to Lot 62 at Maple Grove Village, 3828 N. Portersville Road.
A fire outside the Lot 62 trailer was out upon arrival, according to the fire department.
Six trucks and 16 firefighters were on the scene for 30 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
For one week every summer, members of 4-H clubs from across Dubois County descend on the...
A Pub 'N' Grub is coming soon to 514 N. Jackson Street, the former location of 514 and Yaggi's.
Fifty years ago, before Neil Armstrong took his legendary small step toward a big future, Mike...
Zach Troxal dug into the crumbled dirt beneath him, carving out a hole deep enough for him to...
It was in the land of livestock, crafts, cooking, science, robotics and so much more where Lisa...
There are a handful of moments in history that transcend. When they happen, where we were and...
Drivers coming into Ireland from the west side will likely notice the new artwork that now...
Indiana State Police Superintendent Douglas G. Carter has promoted Sgt. Robbie Lambert to Jasper...