2 injured in Ferdinand plane crash

Photo courtesy Indiana State Police
From Local Sources

FERDINAND — Two patients were transported for treatment after a single-engine plane crashed late Monday night in the MasterBrand Cabinets west parking lot, 624 W. Third St., Ferdinand.

Indiana State Police say the pilot, 52-year-old Gregory Solsrud and his passenger, 18-year-old Winston Solsrud, both of Georgia, were transported by ambulance to Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center in Jasper for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. It was thought they are father and son.

This morning, a hospital spokeswoman said Winston Solsrud was treated and released. There was no information immediately available on Gregory Solsrud.

Authorities were called just after 11 p.m.  to the report of the crash on the southwest side of Ferdinand near West Third Street and Industrial Park Road.

Sgt. Chad Dick said the white and blue 1966 Cessna 150 apparently missed tall power lines, the plant and a parking lot full of semi trailers, touching down in the parking lot and tipping onto its top after the plane’s nose collided with a rip-rapped embankment.

There were no employee injuries and only very minor property damage to the embankment, according to police.

“This is like a miracle plane crash to not hit anything on the property except an embankment,”  Dick said from the scene. The trooper said he observed two skid marks in the parking lot in front of the embankment.

Police said the Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board had been notified.

The Solsruds were reportedly alert and conscious after the accident.

The Ferdinand Volunteer Fire Department, Ferdinand Police Department and Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services were among the first on the scene. Those units were soon joined by state police. Huntingburg Airport Manager Travis McQueen also went to the scene.

Ferdinand firefighters returned to their station after about 30 minutes.

MasterBrand kept media outside the property and plant operations appeared to continue uninterrupted. State police said all efforts were made by the state police not to impede normal operations of the factory or its employees.

Indiana State Police Trooper Steve Nolan responded and is serving as the primary investigating trooper. Dick assisted.

More on DuboisCountyHerald.com