Sunday morning fire destroys Jasper outbuildings

Photos courtesy Jasper Volunteer Fire Department
Fire chief Kenny Hochgesang reports that a fire that appeared to have started in the southeast corner of a Jasper garage Sunday destroyed the structure and the moped, grills and lawn mowers inside it. The fire also spread to a shed behind it.

By BILL POWELL
Herald Staff Writer

JASPER — Multiple property owners were victims of fire and heat damage when a woman’s detached garage caught fire early Sunday morning.

Units of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department were called to the Connie Thewes property at 1339 Jackson St. at 4:39 p.m., according to Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang.

Hochgesang said a fire that appeared to have started in the southeast corner of Thewes’ garage destroyed the structure and the moped, grills and lawn mowers inside it. The fire also spread to a shed behind it on the 1337 Jackson St. property of Steve Wampler.

The blaze destroyed Wampler’s shed and the all-terrain vehicle and lawn and garden equipment inside it. Heat from the fire also damaged the siding on the back of Wampler’s house.

Additionally, Hochgesang said, there was heat and fire damage to garage siding and a fence at the 1336 Main St. property owned by Holly Smith.

Heat also broke out windows at a 107 E. 14th St. apartment building owned by Bernard Kress and fire destroyed a City of Jasper utility pole, creating a localized power outage in the process.

The exact cause of the fire in Thewes’ garage could not be determined because of the extent of the damage.

Four trucks and 28 firefighters were on the scene for an hour.

The Jasper Police Department, Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services and a Jasper Municipal Utilities crew assisted.

There were no injuries.

The blaze destroyed an adjacent shed and the all-terrain vehicle and lawn and garden equipment inside it.



Contact Bill Powell at bpowell@dcherald.com.

 




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com