Pence not hurt when state SUV hit in crash

By The Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana Gov. Mike Pence was not injured Thursday, after his state sport-utility vehicle was struck in downtown Indianapolis.

Neither Pence nor the staff travelling with him required medical attention, said Pence spokeswoman Christy Denault. Pence got in another state car which had been following the SUV and got back on the road.

Pence later made it to Fort Wayne, where he signed a measure expanding in-state college tuition for veterans and National Guard members.

A driver ran a stop sign heading eastbound on Vermont St. at and crashed into the governor’s Chevrolet Tahoe at 10:40 a.m. Thursday, said State Police Capt. David Bursten. The governor’s SUV, being driven by a state police officer, was struck on the driver’s side as it was heading north on Pine St. toward the on-ramp for Interstate 70.

The driver was cited for failing to stop and both vehicles were towed, Bursten said, adding that state police were still compiling a report, early Thursday afternoon.

“We’re very thankful that no one was seriously injured. After I was informed that everything was being addressed, and it did not appear that anyone was seriously injured, I was grateful to be able to continue our schedule north to Fort Wayne,” Pence told WRTV-6 in Indianapolis. “We thank God for his protection today for all concerned.”




More on DuboisCountyHerald.com