Overnight fire destroys Holland-area homeJuly 24, 2014
By BILL POWELL
Herald Staff Writer
HOLLAND — No injuries were reported when fire destroyed a home early this morning south of Holland but the seven members of two families living there are said to have lost everything.
A passerby reported the fire involving the prefabricated home and garage owned by Curtis Hubster at 9554 S. 720W at 2:48 a.m., according to Holland Volunteer Fire Department Fire Chief Adam Chambers. Early information from the scene indicated Hubster was at work in Ferdinand and other household members were with relatives when the fire was reported.
Chambers said there was no saving the home and garage that was engulfed in flames when units pulled up to the scene.
The St. Henry Volunteer Fire Department was called to provide tanker assistance.
Firefighters extinguished fires in trees surrounding the home and saved a nearby outbuilding east of the house. Siding on that outbuilding and on the 9760 S. 720W home of David Williamson just southwest of the Hubster residence was damaged by heat from the fire.
An exercise machine within the footprint of the garage and a hot water heater in the interior of the home were two of the few items that remained standing after the blaze took the structure down to its brick foundation.
An Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office representative was to visit the scene this afternoon to help determine a cause for the fire, Chambers said. The house was insured, according to the chief.
The home occupants’ needs going forward include school supplies and backpacks, as well as clothing for men, women, young ladies and boys. Chambers said donations may be dropped off at a bin that will be in the back lot at the Holland United Methodist Church, 205 N. Second Ave.
Clothing sizes needed are:
• Men’s large and extra-large shirts, 34x30 and 36x32 pants and side 9 and 11 1/2 shoes.
• Women’s extra-large shirts, size 11 pants, large sweat pants, size 38D, 38C and 36C bras and size 6 1/2 and 7 shoes.
• Young ladies medium shirts, size 10-12 pants, size 8 shoes and size 7 and 9 underwear.
• Children’s size 8-12 shirts and pants and size 2 and 3 shoes.
Chambers was working to contact the American Red Cross about assistance. He thought the home’s occupants would be staying with relatives.
“They pretty much lost everything,” Chambers said.
Holland’s fire department had five trucks and 13 firefighters on the scene for about three and a half hours. St. Henry’s fire department assisted with a tanker and about six firefighters.
The Dubois County Sheriff’s Department, Memorial Hospital Emergency Medical Services and a Vectren utility crew also assisted.
Contact Bill Powell at email@example.com.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Tom Schmitt learned about pecan farming from his father. It’s a tradition he appreciates and a...
Authorities say the 1-year-old victim in a Jasper battery investigated earlier today has died.
Kimball Industrial Park has been designated by the state as a shovel-ready site.
Fifth Street School students were given the chance to search for gifts to give to special adults...
Students hoping to participate in 4-H this year must enroll in a new online program with a...
Scott Blazey has announced his intention to seek the Republican nomination for District 3 Jasper...
Gifts, especially during the rush of giving that comes with Christmas, can bring instant...
Nancy Eckerle has announced her intention to seek the Republican nomination for one of two...