Natural gas-fed Fort Wayne fire forces evacuationsMay 8, 2013
By The Associated Press
FORT WAYNE — A Fort Wayne fire fed by natural gas has forced at least 16 people from their homes.
The fire began early Tuesday in a building housing an antique shop and apartments. Once firefighters learned of the natural gas, they evacuated six houses.
No one was injured, but the building and virtually all of its contents were destroyed.
Rick Meyer, owner of Meyer Creek Antiques, tells The Journal Gazette that the fire kept growing because crews were stymied in turning off the gas. He said that the fire would be put out, but then the building would fill with gas and the fire would restart.
Firefighters say an accumulation of gas between the first and second floors caused a small explosion.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Amanda Jones of Dubois has proven herself in two far different worlds — the profession of coal...
Indiana Department of Transportation representatives listened without comment to area residents...
Business and marketing has a fashion flair for six eager students at Heritage Hills High School.
Janie Burkett Harrison, a former drug addict who also suffered from bulimia and alcoholism, will...
“It’s about making it count. This thing called life. It’s about being grateful. For things...
State Sen. Mark Messmer, R-Jasper, was named Legislator of the Year by the American Kennel Club...
Indiana State Police arrested a Huntingburg man Thursday on a Level 4 felony count of...
State Sen. Mark Messmer was named Legislator of the Year by the Indiana Winery and Vineyard...