For The Record: 5/13May 13, 2013
JASPER — No tickets were issued after two SUVs collided Saturday afternoon at 36th and Newton streets.
Charlotte A. Kreilein, 47, of 4720 W. 150N, was westbound on 36th Street in a 2003 Ford Explorer when the 12:54 p.m. mishap occurred just west of Newton Street, according to the Jasper Police Department.
Kreilein was attempting to turn left into a business lot and was waiting on a line of eastbound traffic that was stopped in a turn lane waiting to go north on Newton Street. She told police a vehicle left room for her to turn south and the driver motioned for her to proceed.
Police said Kreilein failed to see an approaching eastbound 2004 Jeep Cherokee in the southernmost lane on 36th Street. The SUV, driven by 29-year-old Brenda K. Schnell, of 1386 Field Crest Lane, struck the passenger side of Kreilein’s Explorer.
Damage was estimated at $6,000 to Kreilein’s Ford and $2,500 to Schnell’s Jeep.
IRELAND — One vehicle appeared to have sustained all the damage in a rear-end collision Wednesday afternoon in Ireland.
A 2007 Lincoln driven by Roger G. Vollmer, 52, of 1750 Gregory Lane, Jasper, was stopped in traffic in State Road 56’s westbound lane when the 4:47 p.m. mishap occurred 200 feet east of County Road 500W, according to the Dubois County Sheriff’s Department.
A deputy said the rear bumper and hatch door of Vollmer’s vehicle were struck and damaged by a 2006 Jeep driven by 29-year-old Jessica L. Taylor, of 9 Canterbury Court, Jasper.
Taylor told a deputy she had pulled out from a gas station and did not realize traffic was stopped on the highway.
Damage to Vollmer’s Lincoln was estimated at $3,000, while a deputy said Taylor’s Jeep did not appear to have sustained damage.
Both vehicles were driven from the scene.
The deputy issued Taylor a written warning for following too closely.
JASPER — Units of the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department responded Sunday night to a report of smoke inside the 1411 Greene St. residence of Darryl and Gail Forbes.
Firefighters answering the 9:16 p.m. call determined wiring in the attic had shorted and was starting to smolder, according to Fire Chief Kenny Hochgesang.
The Forbeses had cut power to the attic so firefighters put two buckets of water on the 3-foot-square area, removed insulation with a bucket and shovel and used a thermal camera to check for hot spots, Hochgesang said.
The affected area was still hot so firefighters ran a small hose to the attic to ensure the threat was erased.
Hochgesang said smoke and water damage was minimal. He estimated the dollar amount of the damage at $1,000, saying the actual cost will depend on the repairs needed after the ceiling area dries.
The fire department cut power to the home and advised the Forbeses to call an electrician before re-energizing the system.
Four trucks and 28 firefighters were on the scene 30 minutes.
More on DuboisCountyHerald.com
Amanda Jones of Dubois has proven herself in two far different worlds — the profession of coal...
Indiana Department of Transportation representatives listened without comment to area residents...
Business and marketing has a fashion flair for six eager students at Heritage Hills High School.
Janie Burkett Harrison, a former drug addict who also suffered from bulimia and alcoholism, will...
“It’s about making it count. This thing called life. It’s about being grateful. For things...
State Sen. Mark Messmer, R-Jasper, was named Legislator of the Year by the American Kennel Club...
Indiana State Police arrested a Huntingburg man Thursday on a Level 4 felony count of...
State Sen. Mark Messmer was named Legislator of the Year by the Indiana Winery and Vineyard...