Looking Back

Page of (165 Articles)
  • Looking Back: 8/23

    Jason Recker
    August 22, 2014
    The postcard from 1921 shows Eckert’s Mill in Jasper, the dam and iron bridge. The mill was owned by the Enlow family and originally was in the village known as Enlow’s Hill.
  • Looking Back: 8/16

    Dawn Mazur
    August 15, 2014
    This postcard featured the 1938-39 Jasper Wildcat basketball team.
  • Looking Back: 8/9

    Dawn Mazur
    August 8, 2014
    Postcards from the past series. This card is postmarked 1913.
  • Looking Back: 8/2

    Dawn Mazur
    August 1, 2014
    This photograph, taken during the 1913 flood, shows the Donahue Saloon and Hotel and the Donahue residence on the right.
  • Looking Back: 7/26

    Dawn Mazur
    July 25, 2014
    In 1954, the old sheriff’s residence was removed and a new and more modern sheriff’s residence was placed on the same location. The contract was awarded to the Messmer Lumber Company at a...
  • Looking Back: 7/19

    Dawn Mazur
    July 18, 2014
    East Fourth Street in Jasper was photographed from Mill Street during the 1913 flood.
  • Looking Back: 7/12

    Dawn Mazur
    July 11, 2014
    A construction crew poured the first floor of the new post office in Jasper in the spring of 1937.
  • Looking Back: 7/5

    Jason Recker
    July 3, 2014
    This was a very early steam engine and threshing machine shown here rounding the public square in Jasper. (The old Courthouse was removed in 1908.) This is a picture of a Gar Scott engine manufactured at Richmond, Indiana.
  • Looking Back: 6/30

    Dawn Mazur
    June 30, 2014
    Before the turn of the century, Jasper had plants that manufactured farm wagons and buggies and horse collars and harnesses.
  • Looking Back: 6/21

    Dawn Mazur
    June 20, 2014
    The Patoka River flooded at Jasper the last week of March in 1913, turning the city’s clay streets pure mud.
  • Looking Back: 6/14

    Dawn Mazur
    June 13, 2014
    The original building that housed Lorey Brothers, a furniture retailer, was located and the corner of Sixth and Newton streets in Jasper and constructed by John Lorey, right.
  • Looking Back: 6/7

    Dawn Mazur
    June 6, 2014
    This photograph shows the southwest corner of the intersection of Eighth and Main streets in Jasper in 1966
Page of (165 Articles)